Initially for the fashion show I envisioned a sixties inspired little black dress cut on the bias with an open back, a unique fitted bodice that the skirt flowed from as if almost an empire waisted dress, but with a much more fitted look. See sketch: (posted when I track down the original sketch)
This vision – just didn’t become a reality. I tried and I tried and I tried. I made multiple mock-ups in muslin. I had trouble in construction overall and just couldn’t wrap my mind around the whole execution. If I didn’t have trouble with the construction during one mock-up then of course, I didn’t get the fit right. If got the fit right, then the fit became all wrong when the skirt stretched (because it will) after hanging 24 hours. I can honestly say for right now, I will never go down the path of anything bias cut (unless its bias tape) for the time being. As a last-minute and I mean in the last 24 hours (yes, this involved staying up all night) before the fashion show I made a whole new black dress.
Simple, clean lines. Flattering style for most anyone! It worked out well – a nice, fully lined, little black dress. It was a little big for my model (my friend Ona), but overall it worked. With time on my hands it would have looked excellent with a belt.